Login     My Account     Support/FAQs
Ask Jonathan

Anxious housewife

Asked By: Anonymous     Views: 1,469 times

I am 28 and have been with my partner for 10 years. I moved from my overprotective mother’s home into his home and never developed friendships with anyone besides him. I’ve had social anxiety since my teenage years, but am now feeling fearful of going anywhere without my husband. I don’t even go shopping alone because I feel so uncomfortable. Now I am finding myself needing to work to help out with the finances and am freaking out about going out and interacting with people. I don’t know what to do.

Your first step is to clarify your motivation. Your second step is to learn about your interactive-based anxiety (especially the process of nurturing yourself and learning to be comfortable being uncomfortable). The third step is to clarify if your husband is willing to re-structure his role of "enabler". Your problem is resolveable if you are willing to do some hard and sustained work (either self-help or therapy). Remember your most valuable aset in life is time. The sooner you start being proactive the better.

The following is part of a collection of questions and sharing by our readership community about a wide variety of aspects of social anxiety. Dive in and receive practical insights and advice. If you have a question that is not included you can contact Jonathan at jberent@socialanxiety.com.

Relating to these Area of Concerns

Berent Associates, 10 Bond St., #371, Great Neck, NY 11021
Tel: (800) 248-2034, Fax: (516) 487-7414, E-mail: jberent@socialanxiety.com

Privacy Statement: All information collected from this website, including E-mail addresses, mailing addresses and personal
information, will not be shared or sold. Any information collected through this site will be used by Berent Associates only.